Pages

12 Nov 2008

Ubuntu 8.10



Around 3 days ago i succesfully set up a new Ubuntu 64 bit in my PC

I continue my journey exploring Ubuntu by installing the new version of Ubuntu inside my PC. I just download the new version of Ubuntu from its official site from the server near me.

Unlike before, i don't want to use any CD for installing Ubuntu inside of windows, so i just mount the ISO file with DAEMON. Then it's working like we have burn the ISO into a CD by making a virtual drive inside your PC. Then, autorun from the virtual drive and a selection menu will appear asking an action to do.

I choose to install Ubuntu inside windows (option number 2) which is easier to use, and low risk on missing data. After it perform several data copying, i reboot the PC. Now, there will be an addition menu on the boot screen, we can choose to boot the Ubuntu and continue installing the Ubuntu or we can choose to boot the windows.

After choosing to install Ubuntu, it will perform several tasks that installing Ubuntu, just leave it installing, my computer takes about 20 minutes witout internet connection, and it takes longer time when your computer is connected to the internet since it will connect to the mirror and download update for the OS. After succeeding this step, then the Ubuntu is now ready to use. Simply reboot the PC and now there are two OS in my PC

I boot the Ubuntu and update the driver for my graphic card, this task perform in quite long time, without any progress bar, so what we could do is wait until it finish, when updating the driver for graphic card, the update manager will not able to update anything else.

After the graphic driver is installed, then i update the software by using the update manager. When updating, i try to activate the desktop effect in system > preferences > appearance > visual effects, then choose extra. Note that the desktop effect could only activated when the graphic driver is installed. The most stunning effect is the wobble effect, where the windows wobble when moved from a point to another. It moves like a jelly. it's simply stunning for me.

After update, i start to install compiz fusion inside Ubuntu to get more stunning effect. Based on the video below, with compiz fusion or Beryl application installed, the effect we got in this OS will be far more stunning than Vista. I follow the Tutorial (Indonesia) i found by googling step by step, and it really works.

After finishing the installation, i have now a very stunning windows effect, a 3D desktop, wobble effect, desktop cube, magic lamp effect, water drops effect, and many more. After since, i never boot my windows again.

Ubuntu has a very stunning effects if you have Compiz fusion or Beryl installed, but not flexible to use, installing an application may need internet connection for the tutorial. Somehow, i think that this is very good, since i myself found a difficulty to install something, then viruses will hardly affect my system.

By now, there are about 4 of my friends looking forward to use ubuntu in their PC for a good system and visual effects. One of them has successfully set up an ubuntu with the compiz fusion when i wrote this.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for givin me fun stuff like this! I won't be boring for a quite long time, at least.

    "U buntu? I bantu! :D"

    ReplyDelete
  2. aih,,,, aih,,,,

    just like a new game for you right? then it gives the high performance system in your PC and security that does not provided by XP. hehehe

    "U buntu? I bantu"

    it's pretty cool, we can make it our slogan.

    Thanks

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. ndruw tnx bgt tp saiiank bgt klo ubuntu gw lg rusak

    mo gw instal ulang tapi masih ada data gw

    mana data gw g bsa d'ap2n lg
    maka na gw bingung bgt

    tar dach gw pnjem kabel ata ke usb y

    ReplyDelete